Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Conversations With Little People

In the last couple of weeks, the floodgates of Aiden's conversation skills have opened, and it's like he's had a word explosion. He can suddenly, like, talk, and use these huge long sentences and all kinds of words that I had no idea he knew just come spilling out. It's crazy! He's also learning how to do all kinds of things by himself. For example, he can now get himself completely dressed, including his socks. He can also make toast. At least, he thinks he can make toast, and he probably could if I would let him, which I won't. We've had some interesting talks lately. Have you ever wondered what actually goes through a three year-old's mind? It's fascinating. Here's an example.

Aiden is in the playroom upstairs, watching Diego this morning....

"Aiden, it's time to get dressed."

"Oh, not right now. Diego's saving the baby birds. I'm helping. I get dressed in a minute, okay?"

"Ummm...okay. Heaven forbid I interfere with the saving of the baby birds. Just make sure you get dressed when the show's over, okay? Please?"

"Okay. Yeah. In a minute."

"Here's your clothes, I'm setting them right next to you."

"Oh...I don't want to wear those. I get my clothes later."

"Yeah...okay...whatever..."

After this little exchange I went downstairs. About 30 minutes later Aiden came downstairs for breakfast. He was dressed. And I can tell you for a fact that what he was wearing was NOT what I picked out for him. He was wearing camo shorts and a gray and blue t-shirt with black socks. He told me proudly -

"I get dressed Mommy! I match!"

"Uh, not exactly. But good job!!" Good thing we aren't going anywhere today....

Jack talks too. He's not quite as understandable though. He mostly blabbers, although he does say "Mama" and "Aid". He's starting to throw "Daddy" in there sometimes too. He says "NaNa" when he's hungry, although I'm not sure what that's supposed to be. Jack's big accomplishment this week is that he can now stand, unassisted, for up to 30 seconds. HE'S NINE MONTHS OLD! I am not ready for him to walk yet. Once he starts walking that will be the end of his babyhood, and I just can't handle that yet. I might have to knock him over so he stops trying. Kidding...I'm kidding. Not really.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids say the craziest things! Just wait until they are a little older and the things that will come out of their mouth. Brian likes to use big words even if he doesn't know what they mean, the other day I told him he needed to look for his DS cause it didn't just grow legs and walk away and he told me to stop being so predictable. I asked if he even knew what they meant. He said no. LOL

Brandy said...

Is it time to start thinking about having another one???!!!

Roxxi said...

So since baby jack jack is not so little anymore does that mean it's time for a little sister??:0)

Jenn - The Army Wife Life said...

Ha. Everyone is so funny...:-)

Brandy said...

I had to tell you what Maddy said to me today. Payton was crying in the car today so I asked Maddy if she knew what she was crying about and she said "Yes Mommy, Sissy wants to go back to the hopital and get back in your belly." I said "Oh, No she doesn't!" I'm not sure what brought that on!!!!