Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Problem with the System

As you know, we have on-post housing here on Fort Irwin. It's beautiful and I love it, and I'm not complaining, let's just get that out of the way. I would much rather live here on post than 30 miles away in Barstow. That's not my problem. I have a problem with the way they do the rent system here. Now, it used to be that when you lived in on-post housing, you simply didn't pay rent. You didn't receive a housing allowance either, the Government just provided you with a house and utilities and that was that. Now, however, since the housing has all been privatized tenants are put into a lease. We receive our housing allowance, and it's automatically deducted out at the beginning of the month for our rent. Not a big deal, at least I don't have to remember to pay it, right? No, what I don't like is this - the way the rent is calculated is by the highest-ranking service member's housing allowance rate. Basically - you pay the whole amount in rent. Again...okay, whatever. But check this out - the guy in the house next door to us is an E-5. He has a lower allowance rate than we do. So for the exact same house, he pays less in rent. When Chris gets promoted, and our allowance rate goes up, our rent automatically goes up. It's almost like, "you showed such responsibility in getting promoted, hey - we'll raise your rent!" Doesn't seem right, does it?

I think the rent should be set at whatever the allowance rate is for the lowest rank allowed in the particular housing area, for instance, E-4. Then, as you get promoted and your allowance rate goes up, that's more money in your pocket. Makes sense to me.

The Army has what they call AFAP - Army Family Action Plan. The Army loves giving things initials....anyway, what AFAP basically is is a chance for family members to voice their concerns about life in the Army, particular issues that they think need to be addressed. Every issue is looked at and tossed around by a group of delegates - made up of family members - and tried to be resolved. I took part in AFAP as a delegate when we lived in Korea, it was an interesting experience. I think I might bring this issue up at the next AFAP conference, I have a feeling I'm not the only one who thinks this is unfair. Why should we be penalized for getting promoted and have our rent go up?

Any other thoughts on this issue?

2 comments:

S said...

I agree on that one but the Army will tell you that you are more than free to take your BAH and move off-post. You also have to look at the way from the officers side. As an officer, you get the same amount of house but you pay a lot (and that's hunderds of dollars) more than the enlisted side and sometimes it's even crappier housing, so you pay more but get less house for it.

Jenn - The Army Wife Life said...

The policy should still be the same, regardless of whether the service member is an officer or enlisted. Since the housing areas are segregated (another policy I don't really agree with), it would still be the same - the lowest ranking BAH rate allowed in the housing area.