Monday, January 4, 2010

Snips and Snails

Every year, two days before my birthday, I get a phone call from my mother telling me that "X number of years ago I was in labor with you". After almost 30 years, it's become tradition. Well, four years ago today, I myself was in labor with my oldest son, Aiden. It being my first time, I remember being scared when the labor pains hit. I had read all the books, but I still had no real idea of what to expect. I remember everyone telling me not to be afraid. Looking back now, I'm of the belief that none of those people had boys. If there is one thing I've learned in the past four years it's this - if you are pregnant with a boy, be afraid...be very afraid.

Little boys are an entity unto themselves. They are not like anything else. On the one hand, they are sweet, lovable, cuddly and cute, kind of like puppies. On the other, they are capable of the most amazing acts of stupidity. And the things that come out of their mouths....

Oh well. As I tucked my little boy in bed on his last night of being three, he looked at me and said, "I love you, Mommy. Hug me so I'll have sweet dreams."

There is nothing in life, and I mean NOTHING to compare with that.

Happy Birthday, Aiden. Mommy loves you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Aiden!
I find myself in the same situation as my oldest is turning 1 at the end of March. I too am a military wife, Army and all of my MJ's first have been celebrated without my husband due to yet another deployment.

I look forward to reading your blog.