Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Not Your Average Lifestyle

Something occurred to me today while I was out running errands. Life on a military post is really not normal. Don't get me wrong, I DID know that already, but it's just that the things we see every day - when you get right down to it - would really freak most people out.

For example:

1. Groups of guys walking down the street in body armor carrying large, nasty looking rifles. If you saw that in the civilian world, you'd probably run for cover and call the police. Me? I just keep driving.

2. Road signs that say things like, "Tanks have right-of-way" and "Watch for falling artillery". And seriously, do you really need a sign to tell you that the tank has the right-of-way? I mean...duh.

3. Sounds of gunfire, like, ALL the time. Whenever Aiden notices a particularly loud boom, he tells me, "Dad's out shooting the guns today!" Makes a mother proud, it really does.

4. For 2 weeks out of the month, you see a bunch of people walking around post dressed up like the Taliban. This is more localized to Fort Irwin, because we are the National Training Center, but still. It's kind of weird.

5. There are Humvee's parked at Burger King. And I'm not talking about your neighbor's blinged out H3.

6. There are signs with "Terrorist ThreatCon Level" posted outside all the public buildings. Word of advice - if it says "ThreatCon Delta", go home.

7. There are giant bunkers that are filled with hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition. It's like Unibomber Paradise.

8. You have to present your identification to armed guards every time you come home from Walmart. I would actually prefer to have an armed guard WITH me every time I go to Walmart, but...whatever.

I'm sure there are more that have escaped my jaded notice. But, you get the picture.

Want to come visit?? :-)

2 comments:

Lady Rynn said...

How true that all is! Like you I don't think about because its the world I've grown accustom to. When my family comes to visit they are always asking me about reveille Retreat and Taps, because they're not used to it. Makes me laugh because I know what time it is when one of those plays!

Jenn - The Army Wife Life said...

True!! I didn't think about that one! And being woken up by a cannon going off every morning! Lol!