Friday, February 13, 2009

Miracles

They do happen. Case in point....

Yesterday morning when I was channel-surfing at 6 am with Jack, I came across the show Good Day LA (a morning news show in the LA area), which was featuring a segment with an Australian pediatrician named Dr. Henry Zehnwirth. He developed a CD and program he called Sounds For Silence, to help restless babies go to sleep and stay asleep. I thought to myself, I need to watch this....

The CD is basically a combination of different white noises they've tested on all kinds of babies, along with a selection of soft classical music. The noises include a vacuum cleaner, street sounds, heartbeats, that kind of thing. They even showed a demonstration of a baby zonking out in under 2 minutes while listening to the music. He said that 9 out of 10 babies in their tests responded to the sounds in under 2 minutes. Maybe it was because of my extreme sleep deprivation, but I decided I HAD to have this CD. I wanted to incorporate it into my sleep training method I'm working on with Jack. He still wakes up 6 or 7 times a night most nights, but he's slowly getting better. I thought this might help speed the process up a bit.

I tried something similar with Aiden when he was a baby, a CD of heartbeat noises the hospital gave me. It didn't work. At all. So I was a bit skeptical, but like I said, in my current state I am willing to try anything. So I went to the website, bought and downloaded the music and we loaded it on the iPod last night.

We set up a pair of small speakers right next to the crib and played the music quietly, all night long. A miracle occured. Jack slept almost all night long. Seriously! He woke up once around 2:30 and was standing up in his crib, so I went to him, laid him back down, helped him find his binky and he was back asleep in under 30 seconds. I heard him stir a few times during the night, but he just made a few fussy noises, then rolled over and went back to sleep - without my help or intervention. And one other thing - absolutely no crying involved.

So I'm now a believer in Sounds For Silence. I realize it's only been one night, but I'm sold. It's amazing what 8 hours of sleep will do for a Mommy! So we are going to incorporate this into our routine, and *hopefully* in a month or two he'll be sleeping well enough to move him out of our room and into Aiden's room, as we are having the boys share a room.

If you have a baby who doesn't like to sleep, I highly recommend this CD. The website is Sounds For Silence. Now I've given you the Australian website, it's actually cheaper to order it from there. They sell it on Amazon but it's around $60 for the CD, book and download. I bought the same package on the Aussie website for around $45 US, including shipping. This gives you the downloadable version, along with a CD and book they will send you in the mail. You can also just buy the downloadable version if you want.

If you are sleep deprived like I am - TRY IT!

1 comment:

Brandy said...

That is awesome Jenn! Good luck tonight!