Saturday, March 20, 2010

Oh, Come ON!!

So. Lately my thoughts have been mostly consumed with our impending move to Germany. Not surprising, since it's a big undertaking to move your entire household to another continent, even if the Army does do most of the leg work. I've been hearing mostly positive things from my friends, they're all excited for us. Except for one lady I spoke to the other day. They are brand new to the Army, only been out of basic for a few months. We were talking about different duty stations and I mentioned to her that we are on assignment to Germany and she just couldn't believe that we are actually excited about it. She told me that I won't like living so far away from my family. I told her that yeah, that part kind of sucks, but truth be told, I'm always far away from my family, so it doesn't really make that much of a difference. She tells me that I must not realize how different Europe is from the States. I tell her, well, actually we've already lived there for four years, I know exactly what Europe is like. I'm starting to get slightly irritated at this point. When she hears this, she about has a heart attack.

"You've already been over there once and you actually want to go back? Are you nuts?"

"Ummm...no, I'm not nuts. Europe is great. Granted, it's probably not for everyone, but we happen to love it there. Honestly I could live there indefinitely and be very happy." Not to mention getting away from narrow-minded Americans like yourself...

"Well, I think you're crazy. You really don't know what you're getting yourself into, being that far away from your family. What if he deploys? What will you do over there by yourself with your kids?"

EXCUSE ME? Just who are you to look me in the face with your 3 months of Army experience to my 10 years and tell ME that I don't know what I'm getting into? Do you really think I'm some baby-faced 18 year-old with no idea how to take care of myself? Do I LOOK helpless to you?? Deep Breath. Deep Breath. "I'll be fine. I've gone through several deployments already, and my husband deployed twice last time we were overseas. And I'll do the same thing over there that I do over here. Take care of my house, take care of my kids, take care of my husband. Oh - and TRAVEL. Europe is a big playground, it's gonna be great!"

"Still...it's SO different over there. I mean, do they even have Walmart?"

It's Europe, not Mars. "Yeah, they have Walmart, - not that I find that any great comfort - and lots of other great stores. Ikea is even more fabulous in Europe. Plus, you know, you still have the PX and Commissary."

"Well...whatever. I would totally HATE being far away from my family. And not having all my stores and restaurants to choose from. I mean, that would suck."

Uh huh. Welcome to the Army, sister.


Can I just say one thing? AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Okay, I feel better. I'm not trying to say that everyone has to agree with me on the whole Europe issue, I understand that living overseas is not for everyone. There are drawbacks, and for some people the cons outweigh the pros, and that's fine. I get that. However, please, please, please, do not tell me that I'm crazy for wanting to go back to a place that I loved, and that I don't know what I'm getting myself into. It's a big world out there, and I don't have a "stay-put" personality. And if you're in the Army, I hate to break it to you, but you will not get to stay 5 miles from home for the rest of your life. Try not to get too worked up over it, I mean, a little open-mindedness never hurt anyone.

Okay, venting over :-)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL!!!!! I am still laughing!! Eric would love to go back too. I do not really care. I like it here. Travel is what I miss the most....and good food.... and good wine.... okay so I would go back! :)

Unknown said...

Okay okay we are new to the Army only been out of basic since May but COME ON!! Only an idiot would pass up on or think that Germany would be terrible! For one think about all the hundreds and hundreds of years of history there, the opportunity to show your kids first hand, have them and yourselves learn a second language oh yeah PLUS ITS GERMANY!!!
That girl must have slept through geography the week they talked about Europe. I would die to go there and am crossing my fingers we do.
Silly little dumb girl.

LadyZhoco said...

I lived in Germany for a few years when I was younger, I met my soon to be husband in the high school we went to. He's joining the Army himself and to me, it's terrifying. I was always on the opposite end of the stick- I was the dependant, not the spouse. Not to mention, I never really missed my stepfather when he was deployed. We both miss Europe and are hoping that at some point we could go back, I personally think that girl's cheese has slid off her cracker and the cracker broke!! (Sorry, I'm from Alabama, my grandparents are from Florida- lol you pick up some weird sayings). I'm terrified of him deploying...I can't seem to wrap my mind around it. I would agree though that living in Europe would help to distract me!

Tashina said...

Ah yes we're also new to Army life like the woman above me, my husband and i got married in Dec and I just got to Germany a week or so ago, its amazing here! Not to mention there's no real difference from here to Connecticut... minus the language... hell the autobahn is slower than home even lol. This is very random I'm realizing as I'm typing this. Well anyways, Germany welcomes you again! :)

Anonymous said...

Heyy I just found your blog while searching up info for irwin, and I had a question. Were leaving for irwin tomorrow and I wanted to know if the wait list for housing was usually long and how long they stay in the field for? I'm worried I'm never going to see my husband from the stories. Please email me at mandirenfroe@yahoo.com. thanks