Saturday, May 19, 2007

Wait a MINUTE!!!

Something occurred to me today, as I was changing my son's diaper and wishing for the 50-millionth time that he was old enough to be potty-trained. Chris is leaving. He won't be back until Aiden is 3 years old. That means he is going to miss the potty-training. How did he arrange THAT??? We had a deal, Chris and I. We agreed that when we had children, he was going to take over potty-training for the boys, and I would handle the girls. Makes sense, right? Now what am I supposed to do? Uncle Sam has effectively shut down that plan.

While I am sure that Chris is secretly breathing a sigh of relief, I have to figure out how to teach my son something that I don't know to do myself. There is a reason girls sit down, it's much more sensible, not to mention cleaner. I've heard that a handful of Cheerios in the toilet is a good way to teach him to aim, but I really have no clue if that works. I don't have brothers, I don't know anything about this stuff!

Although - there may be some advantages to having my son toilet-trained solely by a woman. I'm having visions of a boy who actually knows how to put the seat down, make it into the toilet, and change the toilet paper roll all by himself. Hmmm....maybe this isn't such a bad thing after all. There won't be a man around to intrude on my brainwashing....

I know one thing - he had BETTER be here for the birds and the bees!

6 comments:

5Mutarts said...

LOL! When J was gone the first time I potty-trained Kyran and then he was home to train Kegan. Kegan is definetly messier and willing to explore with the toilet. Now, I have to train Kaylin, but she will be easy! I will be thinking of you guys during the pre-deployment phase!

The Mutarts =)

Pam said...

I think you're onto something though Jenn - you can definitely train him the right way with Chris gone during it all!! And then when he comes back, Aiden can show HIM how to change the toilet paper roll... :-)

Mom

Anonymous said...

Aiden, hang in there, Grandpa will show you how to write your name in the snow.

Grandpa Mike

Roxxi said...

Hey! I have a blog and the EXACT same back ground for mine!:0) That's too funny! I am the QUEEN of potty training. I trained 20 kids in 12 months....CALL ME!! I can give lots of advise! Anyway, Call me! We need to catch up!

Evelyn said...

The one BIG bit of knowledge I can give you on potty training a boy is get a slow falling toilet seat...trust me! Aiden will thank you.

trinity said...

Jen, some advice from someone who has not had any kids, but has worked with hundreds. Get the little colored floating targets, they try to sink them. Tons of Fun :) Also I have heard that if the toilet is too high you can have them stand on your feet, but I am not going to recommend it because in my experience little boys tend to get distracted and might end up peeing on your shoes. No fun.

check out my blog sometime,

randomrantsandramblings.blogspot.com

Trin