Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Aiden the Explorer

I'm just going to come out and say it. Aiden loves Dora. I realize it's "supposed" to be for girls, but I don't really care. He loves it, and he's learning so much from watching it. He's learned his shapes, and some of his colors, and all kinds of things.

So I shouldn't have been surprised today when we had this little conversation:

A: "Mommy, I want to go to Coney Island."

M: "Uhhh....Coney Island?" Isn't that in New York?

A: "Yeah, Coney Island. Come on, let's go!"

M: "Okay, well, what's in Coney Island?'

A: "The ice cream truck."

M: "Really? The ice cream truck is in Coney Island?" What is this kid talking about?

A: "Let's go! Hurry! And get 8 coins!"

M: "8 coins?" Huh? "I don't have 8 coins."

By this time I am totally confused.

A: "Get my piggy bank. I need 8 coins."

M: "Yeah...sure...okay. 8 coins. By the way, where is Coney Island?"

A: "Gate, Lake, CONEY ISLAND!!"

AHHH, the light bulb came on.

M: "Are you watching Dora? Is Dora going to Coney Island?"

A: "Yeah, and I'm going too! I need 8 coins. Where's the keys?"

You would be amazed at the level of understanding that a three year-old truly possesses. He may not be able to use the toilet, but he knows you need money and keys if you want to go somewhere. The way of the world, right?

The kid cracks me up. And he really needs to get out more (as evidenced by his trip to Coney Island), so I signed him up for preschool 2 days a week. He starts next week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I honestly can't tell you who's more excited, Aiden or Mommy. I'm going to try to put Jack in hourly care those days also, so I can have two mornings of time to myself.

I'm trying to get involved in some grown-up things. There's the gym for starters, and also some of the women in our team are starting up a book club. We are going to read books that don't rhyme or have pictures of the Cat in the Hat on the cover! Imagine that!

Although...Dr. Suess is full of political statements...just go read Yertle the Turtle.

Yeah, I really need to get out more.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does he watch Degio too? Brian always loved both Dora and Degio. He would never admit his love for Dora when he found out that we could see Dora live he had to go. Just wait until your taking him to see all these shows live on stage! LOL

Brandy said...

Maddy starts preschool next week too! I am so excited! I know she will love it, she loves going to daycare. I have crazy conversations with Maddy like that all the time too, it is so funny... :)

Handleman in another life said...

Okay, you realize Dad is now planning a trip to Coney Island for Aiden and him?

I can just picture Aiden on the back of Dad's motorcycle...cute little helmet...boots...:-P

Roxxi said...

Oh the things tou can think!! ha ha sorry had to throw a little seuss at you!