Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Itch

It occurred to me the other day that we are quickly approaching the one year mark here at Fort Irwin. It's already been over a year since I packed up and left Fort Benning in my dust, returning home to good ol' sunny Southern California. A lot of people dread coming to the desert, and hate it here, but I really do like it. I like the weather, I like the small-town, peaceful feel of our little post out here in the middle of nowhere, I like the fact that we are only a 2 hour drive from Orange County, and I like being back on the West Coast. I love that my hubby has been home with us for a year, and that, despite the monthly field rotations, he's actually home quite a lot. I like that we've been to Disneyland 5 times this year. I like my house, I like my new friends, and I'm excited to start my new business. Most of the time, I'm very content here.

And yet...sometimes I can't help but think of all the places I haven't been yet. I've never been one to just stay put. I took off for New Zealand at 17. I moved to South Korea at 20. We moved to Germany shortly after, and during our 4 years in Europe, I traveled my butt off. It's a huge world out there, and I can't imagine spending my entire life in one tiny corner of it.

And so, there are times I wish it was time to PCS. Chris has been in for 11 years this year, which means we only have 9 more years to travel the world on the government's dime! I want to live in Europe again. I want to live in Colorado. I want to live in Hawaii. Heck, I'll even go to Alaska, if that's what Uncle Sam asks of us. The idea of moving to a new place is so exciting!

People say you need to have roots, it's important to have something permanent. I tell them I do have roots, they just aren't physical. My family will always be my family, no matter where I live. My friends will always be my friends. My memories will always be my memories. And every few years, my memories come with a different backdrop.

I can feel myself getting itchy. Sometimes I daydream about the next place. What else is out there? Where can we go next? The world is a giant playground, and I want to play. I have a few top choices of places I'd like to go next, but when you boil it right down, I'll go pretty much anywhere.

Anywhere but Texas. :-)

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Jennifer, I could have written this post! I wonder all the time where we will be next. It is such an adventure, one I will miss when we stop.

Unknown said...

Just browsing blogs..We are getting ready to head to Irwin this Jan/Feb...I am so excited to be going back home to SoCal too. Especially since we have been at Fort Polk for 2 years..BLAH...But I totally get where you are coming from. I want to get more out of this Army life too. Just need a bit of home time first :P