Friday, October 9, 2009

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Review

I said I was going to start trying to review the books I'm reading, so I'd better get started! I recently read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It's told from the perspective of a fifteen year-old boy named Christopher, who has Autism. Christopher stumbles upon the dead body of his neighbor's dog and decides to investigate and find the murderer.

What follows is a very quirky story which paints an amazing picture of the autistic mind. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it, it's rather disjointed and tends to jump from one subject to another with total randomness. But this is how Christopher's mind works, and after a while it does start to make a weird kind of sense. The story quickly escalates from a childhood mystery to dealing with some very sad and heavy events that have taken place in Christopher's life. I don't want to give away any more of the plot - you might decide to read it for yourself.

I do recommend that you read it, as it's different from a lot of other fiction. A new and interesting point of view to consider is never a bad thing.

For next month our book club has chosen The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.

No comments: