Saturday, April 17, 2010

Change

I think the Army should change it's motto from "Army Strong" to "Life is Never Dull", or "Nothing is Certain." Unfortunately, our upcoming PCS to Germany has been canceled. :-( Long story short, the position they were going to send him to is non-deployable, and he's been home for too long according the Army, so he needs to go to a unit that could deploy. Not that they necessarily will deploy, but it's a good possibility. SO....no Germany for us. I know, it's a bummer.

That's the bad news. The good news is that we're going to Alaska instead. That was our second choice, so we're still excited. Fort Wainwright - in Fairbanks - where it snows from September to April and you get the best view of the Northern Lights. My kids will go from surf-bunnies to snow-bunnies.

And, before I get inundated with comments about how cold it is in Fairbanks, let me assure you...I know. It's cold, it's remote, yada, yada, yada. I get it, trust me. It's also new and different from anything we've experienced before, and therein lies the draw for us. Chris and I, we love new places and new experiences, especially when it's temporary. I mean, hey, if we hate it, it's not forever!

So in keeping with the way we like to live our life, we are taking our family to The Last Frontier. If you want to come visit, you are more than welcome! But...you might want to come in July....:-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You and your husband sound SOO much like me and mine... One of the best parts about the Army (IMO) is getting to experience new parts of the country/world. Whats the fun in staying in the same place forever.. I am so glad you guys get to go to Alaska.. Its one of my picks as well.. Can't wait until you get there and let us all know how it is.

Unknown said...

LOVE your attitude! God knows why you are going to Alaska. What an adventure. You need to talk to our new FRG leader. She is from there.

Hope said...

Wainwright was one of our favorite stations. It's cold, but it's a dry cold, and that makes a difference. Great community up there. Lots of things to do year round. Enjoy!

And I agree with your comment about uncertainty in the army. There's a lot of that going around with pcs's this season. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

My Husband and I have been at Wainwright for a year. It's not nearly as bad as everyone said. After, all every post is what you make it.