Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How to Make a Baby Sister

The old saying goes something like, "sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of." Not according to my 4 year-old son, Aiden.

The last few days Aiden has been begging for a baby sister. Never mind that he already has a little brother, he wants a sister. Or so he thinks. He asked me if we could go to the baby store and buy one. Yeah, if only it worked that way. I made the mistake of telling Aiden that you can't buy babies, you have to make them. Yeah, I know. As soon as the words were out my mouth I knew I was going to regret it. Of course, Aiden thought that was awesome. Chris, who was standing right there, thought it was hilarious.

A:"Can we make one right now??"

M:"Uh, well no.

A: "Can I help you do it later?"

M: Over Daddy's hysterical laughter, "Umm...only Mommy and Daddy can make a baby sister."

A: "Why?"

M: "Ummm, well, because." Yes, I know that "because" is not an answer for anyone over the age of 7, but honestly, I wasn't ready to have this conversation yet.

Daddy decided to chime in about this time.

D: "Aiden, do you know how to make a baby sister?"

Oh great...WHAT is he thinking??

A: "Yeah, I know how, you need lots of stuff."

D: "Really? Like what kind of stuff?"

A: " Well, you need....

1. A Wallet. Ain't THAT the truth....

2. String.

3. Potatoes. You lost me....

4. A Head. Chris LOVED that one...

5. Some hair.

6. A dress.

7. Eyes.

8. A Binky.

9. Arms.

10. Fingers.

11. Hands.

12. Some chicken.

13. Soap.

14. Pickles

15. A Ding, ding, ding. Just what the heck is that??

16. A Waffle, and...

17. Batman gloves."

Chris and I stared at him speechless.

M: "Umm. You need all that stuff to make a baby sister?"

A: "Yep. Okay, I'm gonna go watch my show now, you and Daddy can go make me a baby sister now." He skipped back out the living room without so much as a glance behind him.

Chris looked at me and raised an eyebrow. "How 'bout it Mommy? You grab the chicken and I'll get the ding, ding, ding."

3 comments:

Brandy said...

I need to stop reading your posts at nap time, it is hard to contain the laughter! Aiden is a total crackup! LOL!!!

Eva M. said...

Omigosh, this is *hilarious*!

Victoria M. said...

I about died laughing when I was through reading this. You're right, your life never seems to be dull.