Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Perspective on Freedom

This is kind of a long post, but it's something I feel strongly about, so my hope is that when you make it to the end, you feel it was worth reading.

With Chris embarking on yet another deployment, I've been thinking about a few things. So many people have made comments to me (upon finding out that Chris was leaving), along the lines of "don't you wish we'd never gone into Iraq?", and "the whole thing is so pointless". I don't agree with either of those sentiments. Do I believe that some wrong choices have been made in Washington when it comes to the war in Iraq? Probably. But hindsight is always 20/20, and having never actually run a war myself, I don't think I would have done much better. And I think that the same could be said for the rest of the American people.

But having said that, do I agree with the reason that we are there in the first place? Absolutely. One of our faults in this country is that we believe that freedom is a right, and therefore something that we are entitled to. In a perfect world, freedom would most certainly be the unalienable right of all men, but we don't live in a perfect world. Freedom is not a right but a privilege, one that must be fought for by those who wish to enjoy it. Freedom was not simply given to us by virtue of our being "Americans", it was bought by the blood of our grandfathers and great-grandfathers. Have we become so apathetic in this country that we feel we should be able to sit back and enjoy the fruits of their sacrifice, but not put forth any effort ourselves? America is not invincible; 9/11 anyone? Terrorism has breached our borders, and unless we want to lose our precious freedom, we must seek out terrorism, wherever it is. It is the duty of every free man and woman to continue the fight for freedom, not only in this country, but around the world, and not only for ourselves, but for our children. Some fight with bullets, some with tears, all with sacrifice. It is an ongoing battle, one that will never be finished. Our enemies are also fighting for freedom - the freedom to oppress and subdue those they consider weaker than themselves. And since we are not weak, is it not also our duty to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves? Are we so selfish that we think only Americans should be free? So yes, I agree with why we went into Iraq.

As to it being pointless, that I simply cannot accept. I have lost too many friends, my husband has lost too many brothers for it to all be pointless. These brave men (and women), laid down their lives to free an oppressed people. If we throw in the towel and decide it's all pointless, then they bled and died for nothing. It is up to those who are still standing to ensure that their deaths mean something. To strip a fallen warrior's death of all meaning is the worst kind of insult. And it's not pointless. Ask any Iraqi woman who now has the freedom to attend college. Any Iraqi child who can go to school and learn about the outside world. The people have a voice, and that is all any of us can ask for.

So I send my husband off to war, knowing that the cause he fights for is just, and do my own little part to preserve freedom for my children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course that was worth reading and I totally agree with everything that you said!! I understand why you feel that way and I think people should be glad that Chris does what he does instead of questioning the war. It is what is right? I appreciate everything that Chris and all those fighting do and everything that you and other spouses go through while they are gone so that my son and I can have our freedom! I love you guys!!

Robin said...

I second that it was totally worth reading and agree 100% with you. It is hard to send our men off to war and we do not need remarks questioning the war to help us feel better. The remarks we want to hear to make us feel better is how supported our guys are for being there.

Roxxi said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! definetly worth reading.

Anonymous said...

I also agree completely. As hard as it is to see our friends and family head off to war, we've gone too far to stop now. We've got to be committed and finish what we've started. I know I'm pretty naive about what's going on over there, but I know we're making a difference. That could never happen without people like Chris.