Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Why I Love the Army Life

As Chris' deployment grows closer and closer, I decided I needed to remind myself why I love the Army life. There are times (like now!) when it can absolutely suck, but the fact is, I wouldn't trade this life for anything! Okay, maybe for untold millions, a chateau in the south of France and a young Paul Newman, but other than that - no way!! And I'll tell you why....

1) That Army Smell. Fellow Army wives, you know what I'm talking about!! That mix of diesel fuel, deodorant, and sweat that all soldiers smell like when they come home from work. It's familiar, comforting and makes any house at any post feel like home.

2) The Commissary. Less than $3 for a gallon of milk. Need I say more?

3) The Ability to Make Instant Friends. Let's face it, unless you want to be a hermit for your entire Army life, moving from place to place forces you to make friends quickly. And there is a camaraderie that exists between us Army folks, we can live near each other for a year or two, and be friends for life. After a few years, you end up with friends scattered all over the US, so you always have someone to visit on vacation!

4) The Travel Opportunities. I will never understand the need to spend one's entire life in the same place. I would go insane, literally. The Army gives us the chance to experience new places, new cultures, new everything, every few years! I have been to places that I never would have dreamed of setting foot in thanks to Uncle Sam. And not just visiting, but actually living in different countries! How awesome is that?!?

5) The Pride You Feel When You Hear The National Anthem or TAPS. It's really a great feeling to know that you are serving your country. And YES, us wives are serving, too!

6) All The Little Unit Pins You Collect Over The Years. They are just cool. And I love to wear my Operation Iraqi Freedom pin. Proudly.

7) The Bazaars. I love having German crystal, French wine, Dutch cheese and Swiss chocolate all in one place. Now THAT is one stop shopping!

8) My Military ID Card. Aside from the military discounts you get with it, it just makes me feel special! Plus, my current one has a really good picture....

9) Free Health Care. Even though Tricare can be a headache at times, it's free, and it's comprehensive. Whatever medical care I need, it's paid for completely. When I had Aiden, it didn't cost a dime. I'll take a headache or two for that!

10) Being Fluent In The Army Language. We do have our own language. Sometimes if I'm talking to a civilian about Army things, they get a glazed look in their eyes and I realize that I've slipped into Army Speak. "Last time we PCS'd, we didn't get our DLA in time and we had to contact DFAS and the PAC office to get it straightened out." Huh?

And the list goes on. Bottom line - the Army life has it's ups and downs, but I'll take it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah I sure do miss all of those things about being an Army wife! But I know exactly what your talking about it and all those things were things that I loved about the Army as well. Now my highlight is just going on post for something and seeing those guys in uniform! Huh maybe I'll go out to post tomorrow...=)

Roxxi said...

We are a sisterhood that civilians just would'nt understand! I love ya girly and I miss that little man!:0)

Pam said...

Although I'm not an Army wife, I do remember being an "Air Force brat" and an ARNG wife. And now I'm an "Army mom" - so I'm claiming an off-shoot membership in the club. :-)

Love the ID Card picture reason though... :)

Mom

5Mutarts said...

I liked your post! I might have to borrow up to help family understand the Army way of life! Hope you are feeling well and not sick!=)

Anonymous said...

You know what I love? When a wife realizes that it's their HUSBAND that is in the Army, and that they're HUSBAND has done all of the accomplishments, and that all they've done is sit on their ass at home and bitch about everything while spending all of their husband's money. Basically, I love when a wife knows her place as nothing more than a mooching civilian.

Jenn said...

Wow...bitter much? I'm sorry that you've obviously had a rotten experience when it comes to "wives" and with that attitude I'm not surprised. Our marriage is a partnership. We help each other and work together. I help my husband in anyway I can, as he does for me. I am much more than "mooching civilian". You have obviously never taken care of a home and three children by yourself. My husband is the first one to tell people that my support is a huge reason for his success and accomplishments. If you don't like it, well...since you are too chicken to actually put your name, I don't give a rat's ass about your opinion.