Thursday, June 26, 2008

Take a Deep Breath

So this blog is called "The Army Wife Life". In that spirit, let me give you a "day in the life" of me. Or rather, a couple of days. Chris was supposed to leave on Tuesday morning. I say "supposed to" because he didn't end up leaving. Normally, this would be a good thing, but the reason he didn't leave is because he got into a car accident on the morning he was supposed to leave and wrecked my truck. He's okay. I guess there were several cars in front of him, the one in the front stopped suddenly, causing the car behind her to stop, causing the car behind her to plow into the second car, which in turn caused Chris to plow into that car. No one was hurt, but my truck is in the shop with about $7000 worth of damage to the front end, and we have a crappy rental car for the next three weeks - a Dodge Caliber. Now don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to have the rental, but I miss my truck. Anyway, Chris got an extension of his leave for 48 hours to get the claim filed and all that fun stuff. So Wednesday we leave for Atlanta to go to the Aquarium and the Zoo before he has to fly out Thursday afternoon. Everything goes great until I leave the airport....

Of course I'm crying. It sucks, after all. It doesn't help that Aiden's also crying - "I want my Daddy!"...at least Jack is sleeping. So we get out of the airport and out of the city and Aiden falls asleep. I'm thinking this is going to be sweet - both kids are racked out in the backseat, I can be sad by myself. That lasted about 20 minutes. I run into the ever-present construction on I-85, and I slow down to a crawl. Crap. Then Jack wakes up and starts crying because he's hungry. Double crap. Then Aiden wakes up and starts crying again. Triple crap. We crawl along for about 10 or 15 minutes and then Jack starts screaming at the top of his lungs. I know the poor guy's hungry but there is literally nowhere to pull over. About this time I'm thinking this can't get any worse and then...it got worse. Aiden threw up all over the back seat. F-ing fabulous. I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in 90 degree heat with 2 screaming kids and a big pile of vomit. And I can't do anything about it. Finally I spot a little grassy turnout and pull over onto the side of the freeway and do my best to clean Aiden up without getting him out of the carseat. I can't do anything about Jack at the moment so I stuck a pacifier in his mouth and got back on the road. Then I called my Mom and blubbered for a few minutes about how my life sucks until I came to an exit and pulled into a gas station. I changed Aiden and cleaned up the back seat as best I could, then fed Jack. I broke out the portable DVD player, stuck in Cars and had two wonderfully quiet children again. We made it home without any more crises, and everything's in the wash now. While I was stripping the car seat to wash it, Chris calls from the airport to tell me he's getting ready to board, and "did I get home okay? How was the drive?"....grumble, $!#&^*$!, grumble...

So now my plans are to put the kids to bed, clean up the house a little bit and then I'm going to eat some double fudge brownie ice cream straight from the container and watch Buffy. Or Angel, I haven't decided. And if I'm feeling energized, I might heat up some brownies my Mom made, dump the ice cream on top of it and douse the entire thing in hot caramel. And I dare you to say ANYTHING!!!

2 comments:

Handleman in another life said...

Not saying a word - except, dang! Wish I were there with you tonight! :-)

Mom

Anonymous said...

Yep that sounds like the Army wife life to me! Hope you enjoyed your ice cream and TV last night. If you ever need to talk you can call me anytime!! I hardly ever sleep! Love ya girl!