Saturday, June 28, 2008

That's Georgia For You

Every year Fort Benning has a big 4th of July celebration the Saturday before the 4th. That's today. So we decided to go. I packed the car with the stroller, blankets, food, water, extra clothes, extra Lightning McQueens, everything I might possibly need with 2 small kids. Except an umbrella. That's right, we got rained on. And by rained on, I mean we got rained on. Now, I grew up in Northern California, where rain on the 4th of July is pretty much a given. But not like this. We had just made it onto the big field where everything was taking place when it started raining. So we quickly made our way under one of the big tents that were set up. I think this one was selling tickets or something. Not that it did much good, we still got completely soaked. My Dad was trying to block the rain off of the boys in the stroller, when the wind picked up. It got so windy so fast that the tent we were standing under blew over, and one of the tables blew into me. All three of us (me, my mom and dad) were leaning over the stroller to keep it from being picked up and blown away by the wind, too. Another lady under the same tent broke her wrist. We managed to make our way over to a cargo van that was being showcased by a local dealer and piled the boys, me, another mom and her 3 kids and several other miscellaneous children inside. After about 10 minutes or so, the wind died down and the rain stopped, the sun came out and all was well. We considered staying, but it was so humid that nothing was drying out, and we were all completely soaked to the bone. All those extra clothes I thought to bring - also soaked. Then the mosquitoes came out and it was just plain miserable. So we left and came home. We'll just do our own 4th of July on Friday. I'm kind of bummed to miss the big fireworks though!

No comments: