Friday, February 1, 2008

Getting Ready

Can you believe this baby is due in 10 weeks? It's going by really fast for me. I've started buying all the things I'll need for the second time around, trying to get prepared early.

I bought a SIDS monitor earlier in the week, it's a flat sensor pad that goes under baby's mattress, and senses breathing and movement while they are asleep. If he stops breathing for 20 seconds, then an alarm will sound, alerting me to the danger. Pretty cool, huh? Hopefully this will give me some peace of mind at night, so I can sleep a little better than I did when Aiden was a baby. I am totally PARANOID when it comes to SIDS.

Chris and I are big fans of the "family bed", or co-sleeping, at least when they are little. I think it helps everyone to sleep better, and promotes early bonding. The only drawback is, you don't have a whole lot of room in the bed! So I fixed that situation this time around and ordered the In Arms Reach Co-Sleeper, a separate bassinet that hooks on to the side of our bed, the mattress is flush with our mattress, so the baby can be right next to me, without taking up any room in our bed. It makes all those middle of the night feedings SO much easier! It was actually delivered yesterday, it was waiting for me when I got home last night. I brought it in the house and dumped the box on the kitchen floor (it's heavy!). Aiden looked at it and said, "what's that?" I told him, "that's Jack-Jack's bed, so he can go night-night like you." He looked at it for a minute, then laid down on top of the box. He laid there for a minute, then looked at me with a really confused look on his face. He shook his head and said, "nooo....." as if to tell me that I need to reconsider this, cause it's not very comfortable! Kids are so literal....

My next big purchase is going to be a double stroller. I have my eye on one that has 2 full regular seats, can accomodate an infant carseat, and then also converts to a sit n stand stroller (one where the smaller child sits in a seat, and the older child can either stand on the back on a platform, or sit in a jumpseat). It's pretty nifty. What did parents do before they had all these cool toys, huh?

Then of course there is the mad stock-up of newborn diapers, since they go through like a dozen a day. More pacifiers are also on my list. And I keep finding really cute clothes that I just have to buy, even though I really don't need any baby boy clothes. I also bought a wee-blocker. It's exactly what it sounds like - a little sponge that goes over the top of little boys' wee-wee's to keep Mommy from getting sprayed during diaper changes. See? I have done this once before....

My 4-D ultrasound is tomorrow, so I should get some definitive proof on whether or not that wee-blocker will be coming in handy or not. Check back tomorrow night for photos!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see those pictures! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW they didn't have any of that stuff when I was having Brian. I was shopping for a friends babyshower a couple of months ago and couldn't believe everything they have now days, it's like Brian was born in a whole different era!LOL

Roxxi said...

Yeah the SIDS thing really does work! My friend Angie has one and my friend Sarah has one. I tried it,,,it was loud! But it worked!:0)