Sunday, April 13, 2008

Babies, Yard Work and Money to Burn

On the baby front - no I haven't had him yet. This overdue stuff is crap. Although I have a newfound appreciation for my friend Lindsay, who went 2 weeks overdue in the middle of July with her first baby. You go girl, I think I would have just curled up and died in front of the air conditioner. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I'm practicing my "tears on command" skills, which I plan on using to hold him hostage until he agrees to induce me.

One of the things that sucks about your husband being deployed (other than the fact that he's not around to kill mutant bugs or take out the trash), is that he's not here to mow the yard and fix all those things that mysteriously break outside for no reason. One of the things that's really cool about having your parents nearby? Dad IS here to mow the yard and fix all those things. My Dad comes over about once a week and putters around the house, doing yard work and fixing things that I have no idea even exist. He takes my trash to the dump, and kills bugs. He even installed a privacy fence and gate across the driveway and the side of the house that I decided I wanted in order to corral my son in the backyard. It's really nice, and makes this deployment ten times easier than the last one....thanks Dad!

One thing you should not do when you are overdue, bored and have money to burn is wander the baby section at Target with said money. You will end up spending it, trust me. My latest unnecessary purchase? The Graco SweetPeace. Now, this may have not been entirely needed, but boy, is it COOL! It's a baby swing, and this thing has everything you could ever want in a piece of baby gear. I actually have a baby swing already that my in-laws bought for Aiden when he was born. It's a great swing, and Aiden loved it. I had no plans to buy a new one, because this one is perfectly fine, but when I saw this thing at Target I could not resist it. It mimics the natural movement of the mother, rather than just swinging back and forth. It plays womb sounds, nature sounds and classical music, as well as comes with an MP3 connection and a little section to hook up your iPod, so you can customize your playlist for your baby. It also vibrates, and comes equipped with a swaddling blanket that hooks right into the seat. It can run off batteries OR plug into the wall (if you've ever used a baby swing before you know how much they suck those D batteries). And the best part of all? The swing seat is removable, and the infant car seat I have hooks onto it. So if the baby is asleep in the car and you don't want to wake him up, you can just set the car seat right into the swing and let him be. How cool is that?? AND, the high-tech keypad that runs all these fancy options has a parental lock on it, so little sticky toddler fingers can't mess up your settings. I mean, this thing was seriously designed by a Mommy! What more could you want? It was super easy to put together too, so I'm totally recommending this thing to anyone who's having a baby....

I think that's all for now, it's taken me a little while to write this, and I'm STILL not in labor....more tomorrow after my doctor's appointment.

3 comments:

Robin said...

That swing is pretty damn cool. I would have bought it too. If we ever have another kid I will defenitly have to keep that swing in mind!

Anonymous said...

Hope your ready to turn on the tears tomorrow! I know what it's like Brian was 8 days overdue, and that was enough for me, you know how big he was!!

This Motivated Mom said...

I am SO excited about that swing - it's the same one we got for The Freeloader. I'm right here with you on the delayed-baby plan, too. Luckily my OB is on call on 4/23 so if this kid doesn't appear before that date, she's going to make it happen during her rotation at the hospital. Best of luck - I'm keeping you all in my thoughts!