Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I Wish They All Could Be California Girls...

Who says the soldier has to do all the work? In the Army, whenever you have to do anything official, it has to be the soldier who does it. They don't want to talk to the spouse, even though everybody knows it's us wives who make the decisions anyway.... :-)

So our potential assignment to Germany has fallen through, surprise surprise. While I am disappointed to not be going back to Europe, it's really okay. Now my kids will be closer to Grandma and Grandpa for longer, and it's a lot less work and stress for me! So where are we going, you ask? Fort Irwin, CALIFORNIA. That's right, we are returning to our homeland, where the sun always shines, gas is $4 a gallon, and the roaches are not the size of puppies.

Now let me tell you how we got this wonderful assignment. Me. That's right, me. Chris was having trouble staying in touch with the guy who does assignments (big surprise, seeing as how he's in a war zone), so when he did finally talk to him, he told him to just call me and tell me what was available, and whatever I wanted was fine. So I got in touch with the guy, got the low down on all the places we could go - Boston, Wisconsin, Alaska, Seattle, just to name a few - and Irwin. Chris and I talked it over (I know he said it was my call, but I couldn't make a decision like that without talking to him, I mean, it is HIS job), and we decided that California was calling our names. So after another 10 minute phone call to the guy, we are officially on assignment to Southern California, reporting in December.

Now, Irwin is in the Mojave Desert, outside of Barstow, otherwise known as the armpit of California, BUT, it's 120 miles from Las Vegas, 90 miles from Orange County, 60 miles from Big Bear Lake, and not far from Palm Springs and Lake Havasu. I mean, could you ask for more stuff to do? So I'm totally excited to once again be a California girl.

Bloomingdales, here I come....

5 comments:

Pam said...

I'm glad for you guys!! At least my grandkids will be in the same country for a while longer!

As long as you don't expect us to actually MOVE to Barstow...:-P

Mom

Jenn - The Army Wife Life said...

Let me get this straight, you'll move to Phenix City, ALABAMA, but you won't move to Barstow? :-)

Rachel said...

I am so jealous!CA is where we are from also and I would love to go back.For now we are in Korea ...a long stretch from CA!:)Good luck with your up coming move.
Rachel

Pam said...

Well, yeah. I'm actually trying to remember WHY we moved here?? Was it the puppy dog sized roaches?? The people who don't know how to flippin' MERGE on the freeway?? What was it??

Oh yeah....my grandson*s*...:-D

Love you!
Mom

Roxxi said...

YEAH!!! How TOTALLY exciting! I almost got my shot to go to Cally...I AM gonna go now! Unpack and get ready...I am coming to visit!:0)