Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fort Irwin

Okay, we finally made it to Fort Irwin on Thursday night. We had a bit of a delay when we left Lemoore, about 20 minutes into our trip, Aiden threw up all over himself and his carseat. We had 2 options - either drive back to Chris' grandma's house and wash everything (and delay ourselves even more), or drive 5 minutes to Target and buy a new carseat. We went with option 2. So we finally got on the road for good around 9, and drove through the gates of Fort Irwin about 5.

Once you hit Barstow, you get on Fort Irwin Road to drive out to the base. That road is literally 30 miles of nothing. Just flat, open desert. This place really is in the middle of nowhere. Just when you've about given up hope of ever seeing civilization again, all of a sudden the lights of Fort Irwin appear in the distance.

Like I said before, we got here Thursday night, and Chris went to housing first thing Friday morning. By 10 am, we had a house. Can you believe that? At least that deployment was good for something! The bad news is we can't move in until Tuesday, so we are stuck here at guest housing until then. We were able to take a tour of our new house though, and it's beautiful. It's brand new, three bedrooms, 2 car garage, and completely fenced in backyard. The kitchen is actually decent-sized (if you are familiar with on-post housing you know that the kitchen is one room they usually scrimp on for some reason), with marble countertops and cherrywood cabinets. I am so excited to move in, I'm going nuts here at the hotel! Another nice feature is the location, we are about a 10 minute walk from the PX and Commissary, 2 blocks from the gym, across the way from the community center (with the pool), and about 5-6 blocks from STARBUCKS!! You know how I feel about my Starbucks. Chris' unit is also within walking distance, so that makes life so much easier with one car for now. And the weather is fabulous - 75 and not a drop of humidity. I love Southern California!

So that's the good news. The bad news is that we are all sick. Chris got this crappy cold/cough first, now Jack and Aiden are both sick, and I can feel myself getting sicker by the minute. Chris is actually at the ER right now with Aiden, he woke up with an ear infection and throwing up. Poor Jack is not only sick with a nasty cold and runny nose, he's also teething. He woke up yesterday morning with his 2 bottom teeth! I feel so bad for him right now, since I can't really give him anything but Tylenol, and rub some Vicks on his chest. Poor baby....

So that's what we've been up to the last couple of days. I'll take some pictures on Tuesday as we move in, we are scheduled for our household goods that day as well. Should be fun!!

6 comments:

trinity said...

Congrats on the new home! Sounds like it will be great! Sorry you are all sick, I know the feeling I have been sick sick sick, but doing good now, Hope you have a Happy Birthday!!!

Lauren Johnson said...

this is random but i would love your advice. my husband and i are looking into re-enlisting and fort irwin would be our place to go, would you recomend it?!? i am so nervous since it is in the middle of nowhere and we are both from the city, HB CA to be exact...would we be bored out of our minds?!? or do you think we would survive?!?!

Jenn - The Army Wife Life said...

Lauren - I wish I had your email address! Fort Irwin is great, I love it here. We are two hours from everywhere, so it's really not as isolated as everyone seems to think. If you are from HB you're only a 2 hour drive from home, you can't get much better than that in the Army. Feel free to email me if you want to talk more - juicygirl1124@yahoo.com

Lei G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lei G. said...

Hey ladies! My husband is set to PCS to Fort Irwin in January and I will be living in LA during that time since I work for a TV show out there. We are planning on taking turns visiting each other on weekends. Do you have any advice? Do you know of any other couples doing this? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Caitlin said...

Hey Jennifer, My name is Caitlin, and i was happy to see this blog. My husband and I are newlyweds,hoping to have a child in the near future, and hes in Korea right now, but we just got the notice that were moving to ft Irwin in august. I've heard it gets really tough, and something about the husband is in the field every 2 weeks out of the month? I'd love to get your feedback on how it is there, both my husband and I are extremely nervous about being there, because we've heard so much bad crap. Lemme know if you get the chance to talk.