Tuesday, October 16, 2007

In Defense

I recently posted regarding my neighbor's dogs - 2 rottweilers who bark all night long - and I made a comment about how I wasn't thrilled with the idea of their presence in the first place. A comment was made on this previous post, and this person took issue with my feelings regarding rottweilers. This person has a rottweiler which is apparently very docile and sweet and good-natured. While I'm sure that there are rotts out there who would never hurt a fly and make great pets, the fact is that they have a great potential to become vicious. I recently came across an article on CNN, which states that a study has been done which finds that Rottweilers are now considered the deadliest dog breed in America, that they are in fact responsible for more dog attacks than even pit bulls. So, no, I don't believe that Rotts in general have the temperament of little bunnies, and feel that those nice, docile Rotts out there are in fact the exception to the rule.
The dogs next door are unknown to me, and they have the potential to be dangerous, and I would be remiss in my responsibilites as a mother of young children not to consider that fact. I want my children to be able to play outside in their own backyard without having to worry about the dogs next door getting out. I have valid reasons for being cautious, their names are Aiden and Baby #2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My opinion is that some dogs are nice, some are mean. While some dogs are definitely predisposed to be "meaner" dogs, it can develop in any breed. If the owners don't spend time with their dogs and train with them, any dog can be potentially vicious. Even dogs that are trained with can be vicious if they feel that their owner is being threatened.
When I was growing up our neighbors had a lab that would bark all the time and bit kids riding by on bicycles! I now have two labs who are the nicest dogs in the world! Maybe your rott friend does have a nice one...but you should not then assume that the new ones next door are nice too! Obviously they are not disciplining their dogs if they allow them to bark all night!
Remember the Felker's had a rott, she was supposed to be a nice dog, but we still were not allowed alone with her in the yard just in case.
You don't have to defend yourself for being concerned about your kids. It's your job to protect them, so do whatever you think you have to do. I would call the cops and complain about a noise disturbance. I'd call every night if I had to! Talk to some of your other neighbors too, they are probably bothered by it as well.
Don't let anybody get to you! Love you girl!

Roxxi said...

You have every right to be unsure about the dogs! Afterall, some people cat's can be vicious too!:0) he he he