Tuesday, January 22, 2008

12 Steps

I never thought I would be saying this, but my son has a problem. He's addicted to....cheese. You're laughing, but I'm serious! I think he needs to join Cheesaholic's Anonymous and get started on a 12 step program. I have never in my life seen a child who likes cheese as much as he does.

He would eat cheese all day long and for every meal if I would let him. And although he has a preference for Colby-Jack, he'll eat any type of cheese you wave in front of him. Need a bribe? Cheese. Need a distraction? Cheese. Need a treat? Cheese. He honestly would turn down cake or cookies or candy in favor of cheese. Do you know any other child who would voluntarily turn down sugar?

Sometimes he'll get himself in a cranky mood and be all whiny and difficult. But if you offer him cheese, 9 times out of 10 his mood will improve dramatically and he'll be hopping around the room, saying "yay! cheese!", and happily munch away. Once he gets his fix, it's all good.

I wonder if you can be pre-disposed to cheese addiction? Is it a gene thing? If so, then he must have gotten it from me, because Chris doesn't like cheese. I wonder if I ate a lot of cheese when I was pregnant with him? I honestly don't remember. I do remember eating a lot of peanut butter, although he doesn't seem to show a particular preference for that.

This cheese addiction has invaded other areas of his life as well. He's a very photogenic child (not that I'm biased or anything), and loves to ham it up for the camera. And what do you suppose he says when the camera points his way? You got it - CHEESE!!!

I guess it's a good thing he's not lactose intolerant....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just hope he doesn't develop an allergy later in life...Dana is lactose intolerant. His favorite dessert? Cheesecake! He'll almost make himself sick to be able to have a piece! Dana's allergy didn't start until sometime in his teens.
Much better to be addicted to cheese than to sugary snacks-at least it's something you can encourage!

Anonymous said...

I think all kids go through it, I remember Brian eating LOTS of cheese, he still likes it now but doesn't eat it 24/7 like he use to. The worse though is when they are little and they throw up and it smells like cheese. Brian's not really big on sugary stuff either, it's probably a good thing!

Roxxi said...

If loving cheese is a genetic things then my kids are SCREWED!!! Joe and I eat cheese like it's going out of style!!:0)