Monday, January 14, 2008

A Trip to the Movies


I took Aiden to the movies yesterday for the first time, we saw the Veggie-Tales movie, "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything". It was really cute, and Aiden had a good time. He was totally enthralled with it for the first 20-30 minutes or so, and then his restless nature kicked in. We only had to go out once, and I have to say that for a 2 year-old at the movies, he did pretty well! And he was by no means the only toddler in the place, so at least we didn't stand out! We need to work on inside voices though, Aiden thinks he has to express his appreciation for the great special effects of Veggie-Tales by yelling, "YAY!!!!!" and "WOW!!!!" at the top of his lungs. It was neat to go to a movie with someone who had no idea what was coming, and hasn't yet been jaded by the whole experience. He looked so cute sitting in the chair with his own little bag of popcorn, eyes wide, his mouth open in amazement.


It used to be that going to the movies was a cheap way to spend the afternoon. Maybe I haven't been in a while, but I was amazed at how much the food costs!! I bought a small popcorn, a large popcorn and 2 waters and it cost me $18!!! What's up with that? I'm getting cheap in my old age....


The funniest part of the whole experience was when the other parents were hauling out their misbehaving children during the movie, Aiden would wave at them and yell, "bye-bye!" as they walked past. Such a sociable little boy....

9 comments:

Mike Daley said...

The high prices kinda makes you miss the old "Red's" movie house back in Crescent City.

Jenn - The Army Wife Life said...

Yeah, I remember getting 5 candy bars and a large drink for $2 at Red's....why anyone would need 5 candy bars I have no idea!

Anonymous said...

Yeah when Brian and I go to the movies I usually end up paying more in snacks then I do for us to get into the movie!

Anonymous said...

I think we used to share those 5 candy bars...I'm sure none of us would have eaten them all! Man those were the days at good old Red's. You know it's closed now, but we still have the drive in!! It's been even a while since we've been there...Dana, his brother and I went to see the Bourne Ultimatum there. Gotta love Matt Damon on the BIG screen! :) Blankets and pillows in the bed of the truck, good times, good times!

Pam said...

The other funny part was when Aiden's feet got stuck in the seat...just imagine a 2 year old - hardly heavy enough to keep the seat down - and squirming. He's sitting on his feet, so they end up back between the seat cushions. Jenn and I are trying to pull the kid out - he's not quiet during this of course - and his shoe comes off. "Shoe!!" at the top of his lungs...grandma trying not to break down in hysterical laughter while holding on to Aiden...Jenn trying to get his show while figuring our exactly how far down to push the seat cushion before it cuts off his other foot...:-D

Mom

Pam said...

Okay, so I don't know how to proofread...

Jenn trying to get his show while figuring our exactly how far down to push the seat cushion before it cuts off his other foot

Should be trying to get his SHOE while figuring OUT exactly how far down to push the seat cushion...

Sheesh....

Jenn - The Army Wife Life said...

I forgot about that part, that was pretty funny, too!

And Sara - I totally miss the drive-in! Those were good times, squeezing as many people as possible into one carload for what, like $5?

trinity said...

I too miss the good old days when we would get $2 bills back for change at Reds. Anyone else think they may have been printing those? And the popcorn in the dixi cups? Yeah. Jenni do you recall going to the "big" theater to see Titanic 7 times? Yeah, not now, we would be broke. Even the "big" theater was cheep then.

And I have to ask, did you tell Aiden that if he closed his eyes during the opening sound thing it would sound better? :)

Jenn - The Army Wife Life said...

Trinity, I totally laughed out loud when I read that, I had forgotten about the closing your eyes thing! That's too funny....

And I do remember going to see Titanic over and over again, and yeah, we definately couldn't afford it now!