Monday, December 3, 2007

We Have it Easy

Deployments are hard. I'm not going to sugarcoat it and pretend that everything's peachy, and say things like, "oh, it gets easier every time", and "gee, it's nice to have the bed to myself for a year". It's hard to be a war wife, especially at this time of year. It's even harder to be apart when you know your other half is in harm's way. BUT, technology is making the world smaller and smaller, and the miles don't seem so great, even from Iraq to Alabama. Chris and I have been able to connect via Yahoo Messenger for the last few days, and as we were chatting this morning it occured to me how lucky I am to be able to do that! How times have changed from the days of World War II! At least I don't have to wait months for a letter that might never come. Women of my Great-Grandmother's generation didn't have that luxury. I get to talk to my hubby a couple of times a week, and we can chat online almost every day. We can even see each other with a webcam. I can SEE him in Iraq, have you ever stopped to think how amazing that is??

There are other things that make life during wartime easier today than in times past. I don't have to draw a line up the back of my leg to make it look like I have pantyhose on, because all of the nylon is being used for parachutes. My meat, sugar, butter and coffee aren't rationed (although if the price of oil keeps going up, my gas might be!). I didn't have to give up my easy job to work in a tank factory, and my friends aren't being rounded up and sent to detention camps. In fact, I haven't really had to give up a thing. Well, that, but it's not much fun when you have a big pregnant belly, anyway....

So the next time you hear someone complaining about how the war is affecting them, tell them to stick it. We have it easy.

2 comments:

Roxxi said...

GRR!!! Get em girl!
The line up the back of your legs thing made me laugh! When I was in college I was in a musical(My "hubby" was a soldier 1940's era) and I had to have a line drawn every night on my legs for a week! It took like 2 weeks for the line to be totally gone!:0)

Handleman in another life said...

Great post Jenn! So many people just like to complain I think and never even look "behind" the comments they are making or the people they are griping about. Everyone's a victim these days and yet as you said "we have it easy".