Sunday, August 24, 2008

Movin' On Up

Well guys, it looks like we are finally moving. We have our house up for rent, with "high hopes" from our property manager that it will get rented this month. He's already had some interest in it, so my fingers are crossed. But, rented or not, we are leaving. We've decided that there is really no point in sticking around much longer, so I have tentatively set a date for September 15th to pack up the truck and the kids and skedaddle on out of here. My Mom has volunteered to drive with me across the country, so I won't be doing it by myself.

I have a briefing with Transportation on August 29th, I'm hoping I can set my appt with the movers for around the 10th or 11th. Once our household goods are packed up and on their way to CA, we won't be far behind. The plan is to drive from here to Medford, OR, and we are going to take about 2 weeks to do it. I want to stop and visit friends along the way, plus the kids aren't going to be able to handle more than a day or two in the saddle without a break. Once we get to Medford (where my Grandma and various extended family live), we will stop for a few days to visit, then my mom will fly back here to AL to start packing up their house and the kids and I will drive down to Crescent City (where we grew up). Chris' family still lives in town, so we'll be crashing at their house for the remaining 3 to 4 weeks until Chris comes home. Once he's home, we'll pack up the truck again and finish the journey down to Fort Irwin. Whew!

Think I'm crazy to drive 3000 miles with 2 small children? Probably. But we are going to make it as fun as we can, and try to experience a little bit of America along the way. The last time I drove across the country, Chris and I had just gotten married. We drove from Tennessee to California in May in a Geo Tracker with no AC, and a tape deck with exactly 2 tapes - The Steve Miller Band and CCR. And we were on a time crunch. I don't care how in love you are, 16 hours a day in a hot car with nothing but Proud Mary playing will get on anyone's nerves. Hopefully this trip will be a little more enjoyable! Although I'm not sure trading out CCR for the CARS soundtrack is going to be all that much better....:-)

I'll keep you posted on the plans as they come together...wish us luck!!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Yay! I'm so happy you'll be here for a few weeks! I can't wait to see how much bigger Jack is from a few months ago. Wow...it's already been 4 months since I was back to visit?! What happened to this summer? Can't wait to see you all!!