Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Travelin' Tuesday - Roaring Bay

When I was seventeen, I packed my bags and went to New Zealand for 6 months. Seriously. I nannied for a family with 5 girls under the age of 9. As if that wasn't an adventure in and of itself, we traveled all around the country while I was there - 2 weeks on the North Island, 2 weeks on the South Island. These pictures are of Roaring Bay, in Kaka Point, which is on the very tip of the South Island of New Zealand. If you keep going, the next thing you'll hit is Antarctica. And one other thing, it's really cold. And I mean really cold. There are antarctic winds that blow off the waters, and I have never been so cold in my entire life.


The colors in this picture have not been altered in any way - the water really is this blue. It's absolutely beautiful.


As the sun was setting, we were treated to a rare sight - wild penguins. They are hard to see, but I've circled them in blue. These are Yellow-Tail penguins ( I think....) of which there are only 500 breeding pairs in the world. But this was 10 years ago, so maybe there are more now! It was totally weird to see penguins on the beach, very surreal.

If you ever have the chance to go to New Zealand, GO. In my humble opinion, it's the most beautiful country in the world.

No comments: