Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Day Six - Junction City, Kansas

We are still in Junction City today. As mentioned yesterday, we decided to take an extra day and rest. The boys and I spent the day at Brandy's house and Grandma got a much needed "time-out" from all this craziness.

The highlight of the day today was watching Aiden and Maddy play together. Maddy is only six weeks younger than Aiden and she is such a little cutie. She's much more articulate than Aiden and speaks in full sentences and everything. Here's an example of a conversation that went on between Aiden and Maddy today:

I tell Aiden to take his shoes off, which he sits down and attempts to do. He finally gets them off.

Maddy: "Oh Aiden, I LOVE your socks!"

Aiden: Looking down at his feet, "Socks."

Maddy: "I like them very much."

Aiden: "Socks. Lightning McQueen."

Maddy: "Come up to my room and play with me, I have lots of toys."

Aiden: "Okay. Lightning McQueen."

The boy has one thing on his brain most of the time. Thankfully it's still Cars at this point, a fact I am sure will change when he hits puberty. When that happens, being invited up to a girl's bedroom will mean something entirely different...

Considering his obesession with Lightning McQueen, you will all hopefully understand my actions concerning this next part. Aiden lost Lightning McQueen. Now, my kid is smart. We have several other Lightnings but they are all slightly different - one has bugs in his teeth, one is the "Dirt Track McQueen" with dirt on the sides, several are smaller, but none of them will do at bedtime except for the original. I tried to pass off one of the other ones to him but he immediately gave it back to me and said "No Mommy, not this one".I searched all over and couldn't find it at which point I had no choice but to make a mad dash for the Walmart up the street. Actually, two mad dashes to Walmart since I was so flustered and panicked at the thought of not having Lightning at bedtime that I left my wallet in the hotel room and had to come back for it. I even scuffed it up in the parking lot to make it look as, ummm, well-loved as the other one. Thankfully, it worked and he is now sleeping peacefully with his Lightning.

Tomorrow we are headed out again, pray we find something that will knock Aiden out for a while!

2 comments:

Mike Daley said...

Should we all pool our "Lightning" stories together and see how many times the car has been replaced?

Maybe not. Remember that... second thought you never noticed either.

Roxxi said...

I am SSSOOOO glad I looked in the bedroom because he almost lost 2 other McQueens....maybe one of the two you came back for was the one missing again...it was kinda scuffed up!:0)
I am gonna look for serge and mater today!
Hug the boys for me and say hello to beautiful colorado( I am SO jelious!)