Monday, September 29, 2008

Day Twelve - Salt Lake City, Utah

We left Wyoming this morning and made it Utah. We crossed the Continental Divide...and then we crossed it again. Apparently we were in the Great Basin or something, and there are actually TWO Continental Divides. I know, I don't really get it either. My dad told us this, and I just have to say that people think I know too much random information - you should talk to my Dad....Most of the day we were driving across the ugliest part of Wyoming. It's just flat and really boring. There are mountains and prettier sections of the state, but we didn't get to see those parts. Once we entered Utah we started getting into some more mountainous terrain, and the landscape definitely improved. Lots of pretty orange, pink and yellow trees covering the mountains.

Once again Aiden refused to sleep, but Jack seems to be getting better and better at tuning out his noisy older brother and he slept for a good portion of the drive today. We are getting closer and closer and I think we are all feeling the stress of this trip. Aiden is really acting up, he has 2 or 3 major meltdowns a day, and it's getting really tiring. I know he's just confused and tired (I wish he would just give it up and SLEEP already), but dealing with a cranky two-year old in addition to everything else really wears on you after a while! I swear he has multiple personalities though. Sometimes he can go from angry and screaming to laughing and playing and back again in the blink of an eye. I seldom know what exactly he's upset about, or what is going to trigger his good mood/bad mood, so it's a guessing game each day. Sometimes he's really good and a joy to be around, and then other times I want to strap him to the top of the car. Just keeping me on my toes, I guess!

We are staying in Salt Lake City for 2 days, tomorrow we are taking a break from driving and visiting the zoo. It's supposed to be a really big, nice zoo, so I'm hoping that Aiden will enjoy the diversion. Maybe we'll take an elephant ride or something. Keep your fingers crossed that the Good Aiden decides to accompany us tomorrow, and leaves the Heathen Aiden behind! Anyway, here are today's stats:

Miles traveled: 290

Number of times Aiden said, " I want Jerry, I want Jerry," before Mommy finally gave in and put on Tom and Jerry: 41

Number of pieces that Aiden managed to crumble his banana bread into in his carseat this morning: 4 million

Number of naps that Jack managed to take in spite of Aiden's loudness: 3

Number of different hotel keys that have somehow managed to end up in Jennifer's wallet so far: 4

I'll try to take some pictures at the zoo tomorrow!

No comments: