Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Travelin' Tuesday - Acropolis

I know I forgot to post last Tuesday, I'm sorry. I've got a lot on mind lately! Anyway, we are going back to Athens this week, to the Acropolis. A little Greek lesson for you - "Acropolis" does not refer specifically to the Acropolis in Athens, it simply means the highest hill or spot in a city. Usually it would have a temple on it, and the one in Athens is the most famous, but almost every large city or town in Greece has an Acropolis. The Acropolis in Athens is home to two of the most famous landmarks in Greece - the Parthenon, and the Temple of Athena Nike. It is visible looming high above the streets of the Plaka, or old town, and it's quite impressive.

When we were there, there was scaffolding all over the place, as they were doing some sort of reconstruction. Tell me this - these buildings have stood tall for 4000 years, what can we possibly do to them to make them last longer? Seems to me the ancient Greeks did a pretty good job....

Anyway...the view from the road....

The Parthenon....

and the Temple of Athena Nike....

1 comment:

Roxxi said...

You are so smart! I loved learning not only army things from you, but everday stuff too!